Saturday, October 27, 2007

Hilton Responds with Challenge to Samuel Shankland

These are trying times to be a judge in the US Chess League! The workload is heavy, and I confess that I may not have the same chessic qualifications as the other two judges. However, as the Chairman of the Awards Committee of the Chess Journalists of America, I have a keen eye for spotting promising chess journalism. The recent skills displayed by the respectable Samuel Shankland in his latest blog entry show that he is ready to begin to work his way up the ranks of this promising field.

I would like to invite him to be the very first to write a letter to the editor of the Ohio Chess Connection, a statewide chess newspaper I am founding and editing. The Connection is scheduled to premiere in January of 2008, and although I plan to focus on local and state events, I more than welcome discussion in the "Letters to the Editor" department on anything interesting in chess culture. I would love to run something on the League, and Sam's letters would give one possible outlet in the magazine for this. Stirring up interest in the League in Ohio may well be the first step in seeing the Columbus area develop a team for an upcoming year. I hope to see Sam put his skills to good use for the benefit of the League, and I anxiously await a letter from him!

Warm regards to all,
Jonathan Hilton

2 comments:

Unknown said...

How does my writing an article for some ohio chess newspaper have anything to do with your not even ranking friedel's game? If the workload is too heavy, I'm sure other people can give you a hand. I don't judge, i dont write chess articles, all i do in the chess world is play. I'm not saying i have the time to be a gotw judge, just saying your last weeks ranking was quite ridiculous.

Ilya said...

Sam, he thought he could you bribe and flatter you off the topic but it clearly failed, way to stick to your principles:)